Welcome to the New Year! A time when we consider resolutions, plans, hopes and moving forward into future with a fresh start. And welcome to 2013 The Year of the Snake in Chinese Astrology! While researching The Year of the Snake I found there are some interesting traits between Snakes and those of us working within Special Needs Pooled Trusts. So let’s take a look.
Technically The Year of the Snake begins on February 10, 2013 and ends on January 30, 2014. The Snake is the 6th sign is the Chinese Zodiac and is also called the Junior Dragon. People born in the Year of the Snake are keen, cunning, quite intelligent, wise, graceful, and exhibit materialism. When making decisions, Snakes are extremely analytical and as a result they don’t jump into situations. They are great mediators and good at doing business. These are all fabulous traits; we should be intelligent, do our research, take time, and be wise in our decision-making. So let’s all be more “snake-like” in 2013!
Additionally this is a year of the water Snake, meaning all things will be possible. Top priorities are saving money and being thrifty which are good priorities in any year. Delusion and deception are common in the year of water Snake, so stay alert! To gain the greatest benefits from this year, you must control spending and use your talents wisely.
Again, many of the qualities listed for those born in the Year of the Snake are ones we all can aspire to when organizing our lives and finances to insure that 2013 and beyond are healthy, financially sound, and prosperous years.
So in the name of fresh starts, planning, The Year of the Snake, and Special Needs Trusts let’s have some fun with this and look at 13 Ways a Special Needs Pooled Trust Can Help you in 2013.
- Save and invest money while qualifying for or retaining your benefits.
- Plan for a child to live the same lifestyle they do now with you. An Easter Seals Living with Disabilities shows there are 7 in 10 adult children with disabilities living with a parent or guardian and 52% of parents of a child with a disability are concerned about their child’s financial well being. Yet while parents concerns are high nearly one-third have done little or nothing to prepare. What happens when you are no longer here?
- Ability to receive back payment, settlement, or windfall and maintain benefits.
- Have an individualized assessment and plan done with a qualified care manager.
- Receive the proper care management when needed.
- Help the beneficiary access funds in ways permitted by state and federal legislation.
- Be an advocate for the person with disabilities. Unfortunately getting dropped from SSDI or SSI does happen, along with other possible issues. But as our client we will advocate on your behalf. We are here for you!
- Protection from financial exploitation.
- Minimal investment amount, but the same investment advice and experience that million dollar trusts receive through our private wealth management partner.
- Very low set up fees compared to private trusts as we hold master trust documents for both first and third party trusts.
- Help maintain compliance and reporting to state and federal agencies.
- Knowledge that an experienced non-profit volunteer board has your needs in mind. We are not in this for the money but the belief in a better life for our clients.
- Peace of mind.
Ancient Chinese wisdom says a Snake in the house is a good omen because it means that your family will not starve. Modern day Special Needs Pooled Trusts like The Special Needs Trust Network (SNTN) know that planning for the future today can protect you by maintaining your benefits, protecting assets, and creating a sense of financial well-being therefore limiting the possibility of “starving.” While we can’t protect you against every threat and not all investments earn positive returns on a regular basis we’re just asking you to consider at least the first step; think about protecting what you have now for the future.
At the Special Needs Trust Network we’re always just a click, call, or visit away. If you have questions or comments please reach out to us, there is no charge for this conversation and if you are outside of the state of Colorado we will happily refer you to other qualified and experienced non-profit pooled trusts. Feel free to reach us at 303.331.4420, Info@SNTNetwork.org. and make sure that in the Year of the Snake you save money, gain the benefits you deserve and the peace of mind that comes with this.